CONTACT: 720-282-9431 or
Helping You Create a Nourishing Professional Life
Visit Chrissy's Blog
Get the FREE e-Workbook and
receive our weekly eNewsletter

Quiz: Are You a Team Player?

Let’s face it: Everyone wants to be a team player. And most people think they are. But we know that’s not true. Some people are so consumed with their own work; they forget to support their team—or they flat out don’t care. It isn’t always easy to be a part of a team. In fact, it’s sometimes a real pain! But it’s an absolute necessity in the workplace. You simply have to be willing to collaborate and pitch in when needed in order to achieve success. After all, if you don’t help your team, they won’t help you. And no one man (or woman) can do it alone!

So, are you really a team player? Or do you just think you are? Take this quiz to find out!

Download the PDF version here >>

Instructions

Read each of the following statements. Respond to each by asking yourself if you feel this way:

Most of the Time = Give yourself 3 points

Sometimes = Give yourself 2 points

Never = Give yourself 1 point

(Notice there is no option for ALL the time – that’s just not realistic!)

2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.

5. When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates.

6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals.

7. I want to see my fellow team members succeed.

8. I enjoy working with the people on my team.

9. I respect the people on my team and appreciate their unique opinions, perspectives and ways of doing things.

10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team.

Count up your points.

If you have 25 to 30 points:

Congratulations! You’ve got teamwork down to a science. You recognize the importance of supporting and contributing to your team. You’ve built some strong relationships, established a reputation for being a hard worker, and you’ve really got your priorities straight. Your teammates certainly appreciate it. By building, and being a part of, a strong team, you can feel confident that your career future is bright. You have a network of colleagues who know and respect your work – and that’s a huge benefit in the professional world. You’ve also got people who will support you when you need a little help. More than likely, you won’t even have to ask. When you need it, your team will be there.

If you have 20 to 24 points:

Well done! You’re on your way to being a truly strong team player. Right now, you’re a team player some of the time. While that’s perfectly acceptable, it’s not ideal. Your team needs to depend on you. They need to know that you’re a part of the team always. Contributing only occasionally might even be counterproductive. After all, you want to show that you’re a loyal and enthusiastic member, not just a “fair weather” friend. Look at this list of questions again and consider where you could do more to show your support for the team. You’re so close – just put in that small, added effort and the results will be dramatic.

If you have 10 to 19 points:

Ok, how do I put this gently…? You probably won’t be voted MVP anytime soon. You might be one of those people who think they’re a team player but really, you’re not quite following through on the actions. You answered “sometimes” or “never” quite a bit on this test. Maybe you’re getting along just fine this way – you’re doing your job and getting things done. But remember that being a part of a strong team can be an incredible asset in the future. You may be doing fine right now, but once you hit a rough patch, where will you be?

If you’ve been contributing and supporting your team, they’ll step up and help you when things are tough. But if you’ve been more concerned with doing your own thing, watch out. You might not have anyone to lean on when you need it. I’m not saying being a little selfish is always bad. But remember that a team relationship is reciprocal. You give some; you get some. Take a good look at this list and see what kinds of things you’re failing to do on a regular basis. Maybe it’s time to step it up a bit and focus on helping your team.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

17 Responses to “Quiz: Are You a Team Player?”

1. […] Source : Eat Your Career – Team Player Quiz  […]

2. Abby woolard says:

2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.
    5. When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates.
    6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals.
    7. I want to see my fellow team members succeed.
    8. I enjoy working with the people on my team.
    10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team.
    =25 points
    The results were perfect just what I wanted to hear. I so think that the results are correct, I am a very social person. Sometimes me and the other people in my group don’t always have the same answer or idea. You can’t really unless you use the internet. I could be more understanding and cooperative.
    Write a reflection paragraph (5-6 sentences) about your results. Include the following in your paragraph

3. Lauren Smith says:

1. When I see my teammates struggling, I offer to help even when I’m busy with my own work. MOST OF THE TIME (3)
    2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.
    Sometimes(2)
    3. I always offer my opinion but I am willing to compromise for the good of the team. Sometimes (2)
    4. When everyone else is working late on a project I’m involved with, I will usually stick around too. Sometimes(2)
    5. When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates. Sometimes(2)
    6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals. Most of the time(3)
    7. I want to see my fellow team members succeed. Most of the time(3)
    8.I enjoy working with the people on my team. Most of the time(3)
    9.I respect the people on my team and appreciate their unique opinions, perspectives and ways of doing things. Most of the time(3)
    10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team. Sometimes(2)

25 points
    I agree 100% with the results. I do think the results are correct. There has been times when me and some of my teammates may not agree on everything, but I can sometimes understand where they are coming from. I will try to be more understanding to be a better team player.

4. Emerson Smith says:

I think the question ask were credible question to be ask for this survey.

5. Tony says:

can someone please explain to me how to submit this quiz?

6. Vernora Mccullough says:

I think that the 25 I earned, suits me just fine!I am a team player;who loves to support others-however keeping a certain level of balance in self preservation. My score accurately reflects who I am- as an individual each and every day.Rayher professional or personal ,I am a team player!Score listed below…
    1.(3)
    2.(2)
    3.(3)
    4.(2)
    5.(3)
    6.(2)
    7.(3)
    8.(2)
    9.(3)
    10.(2)

7. Liz Bird says:

I recently took a survey as part of a job interview. I have a long resume, lots of experience and am considered an “older” worker. I also have kept up with the technology in my field. The thing that bothers me is that I know I am not “teamy.” In fact, on this stupid survey I scored at an 88 percent on being an introvert which I kind of knew I was. I cannot change and not so sure I want to if I have to lie and be someone I am not. Is anybody else at the mercy of these tests given by organizatons who want everyone alike — employees who are social, teamy, and have this upbeat Polyanna bullshit down pat.

8. Liz Bird says:

Oh yea, I forgot. I got a whopping 18 on this test because I did not lie.

9. Belina says:

Score of 29, I think this quiz is/was good for a very personnel assessment

10. To Liz Bird: It is not necessary to lie or be “teamy” as you put it, to work on a team. If you prefer solo work, which is rarer than it used to be, perhaps you should pursue it.

I am an older (50 plus) worker, and I often am required to work as part of a team. My colleagues and I are quite different in age range and backgrounds, but we are one of the best sets among those who do what we do. We have learned to adjust to each other and focus on the goal.Your response drips of bitterness I hope things get better for you.

The test asks valid questions and gave you an answer you already knew–you don’t want to be on any sort of team if you can avoid it. You think you can do most of it alone. Good luck with that.

11. My score was 22. I can work on teams, but I need to curb my tongue sometimes to make things go smoother.

12. Cashasta Huntley Hairston says:

2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.

5. When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates.

6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals.

7. I want to see my fellow team members succeed.

8. I enjoy working with the people on my team.

10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team.

My score was 27. I have good communication skills and team workmanship, so I honestly believe that plays a role in the score that I was given. In order for my fellow security officers and I to do our job, we must become one; which means we must think and be a team. I mean working with different people and different events occurring in our own life, so we are not always going to want to think and work as a team. We are only human, so taking this quiz definitely gave me insight if I am a team player or not.

13. Walikqua Johnson says:

My score is 26

1. When i see my teammate struggling, I offer to help even when I’m busy with my own work.

2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.

4.When everyone else is working late on a project I’m involved with. I usually stick around too.

5.When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates.

6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals.

7.I want to see my fellow team members succeed.

8.I enjoy working with people on my team.

9. I respect the people on my team and appreciated their unique opinions, perspectives and ways od doing things.

10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team

14. Walikqua Johnson says:

Forgot to leave my comment.

I believe my score was 26 because I am a good team player. I work well alone and I work well with others. I give my opinion and suggestions but it’s not all about me. I do what’s best for the team.

15. Lana says:

I have taken the Team Player Quiz (http://www.eatyourcareer.com/2012/08/quiz-are-you-a-team-player/) and learned that I am a decent team player. I scored 23 on my quiz. Honestly, I am very upset to be called “not ideal team player….team cannot count on you” and so on, because I missed 2 points. The person who made this assessment lives in a world thinking that great life and working relationships with employer do not exist without “great” team playing abilities. Currently, I work for one of the largest manufacturing companies in the World: 3M. Although team playing is necessary for compiling research and data for a multi-million dollar projects with a fast approaching deadline, I can tell you that every person involved has different traits to add to the project. Every person is not great at the same thing. Diversity in functions and ability to add differently to the team is important. Mine is data analysis. I will seek help and allow others to help with testing, but nobody on my team knows the things about analysis of the data better than I. For me to allow help from individuals on that part of the project is not ideal. At the end of the day, we all have a common goal of delivering correct results by the deadline. One heavily used and important slogan at work is “No data is better than wrong data.” Long story short, although team playing abilities are valued everywhere, I am happy to be working for a company that seeks for a good “balance between team playing ability and individual performance.” This test is a bunch of BS and in no shape or form defines what employers seek.

16. Jamard Slade says:

2. When a task needs to be done and no one else wants to do it, I volunteer.
    5. When I receive praise, I am quick to share credit with my teammates.
    6. I feel that team goals are just as important as my individual goals.
    7. I want to see my fellow team members succeed.
    8. I enjoy working with the people on my team.
    10. I feel that my work is better when I’m working with my team.
    I agree with this.